Fire protection with music
Fire load-free stairs
In 2010, the plans of the City of Regensburg to acquire the now vacant building and, following a general renovation, to use it as a “House of Music” (“Haus der Musik”) took on more detailed shape. Until the building could be used as the “Haus der Musik”, a great deal of planning, design, financial and last but not least, building conservation expenditure was required. Around EUR 17.5 mln were invested in the extensive modifications to the presidential palace. The “Haus der Musik” now offers plenty of space for performances and music concerts. There is a choir and orchestra practice hall, a theatre hall and a large concert hall for approx. 80 people. Furthermore, the building is also home to the singing and music school the “Junges Theater” of Regensburg, a café, a music instrument exhibition and a music studio.
History of the building
The “Haus der Musik” is in the presidential palace on the Bismarckplatz square in Regensburg. The presidential palace was built in 1804/1805 by the court architect Emanuel Herigoyen on a small area of high ground, which had previously been called Rinderbrühl. The chief administrative officer (“president of the government”) lived in this house, after Regensburg became Bavarian in 1810 and was the seat of the Regenkreis district. This is how the building acquired its name as the “presidential palace”. The era as the seat of the chief administrative officer of the Regenkreis district lasted until 1932. After that the property was handed over to the gendarmerie for further use. After the SecondWorld War up to 2010, it was the seat of the police headquarters of the Lower Bavaria/Upper Palatinate region.
|Building:||House of Music, Culture & Monument Protection – Refurbishment|
|Year of Construction:||2014 – 2016|
|Solution:||Two wall systems PRIOWALL with inspection doors PRIODOOR ETX|
|Material:||Non-combustible panel with surface coating, classification A2 – s1, d0|
|Fire resistance:||90 Minutes|
|Protection Target:||Fire load insulation of the electrical systems in the staircases|
|Special features:||Surface white, similar to RAL 9010; PRIODOOR ETX inspection doors in various sizes|
PRIORIT fire protection
Existing fire loads in the stairs were separated by two “PRIOWALL” wall systems of PRIORIT, so that the stairs can be used safely even in case of fire. The wall systems are smoke-tight and withstand a fire for 90 minutes. The surface of the wall system and the small to large-format “PRIODOOR ETX” inspection closures were coated in white, similar to RAL 9010. With different sized doors in the wall systems, the electrical installations can be accessed at any time without cost or major effort. Due to the precisely designed execution, the systems delivered fitted optimally into the existing building.
The work was carried out by our certified PSP-Partner G+H in Nuremberg.
Heating and environmental protection
Due to the location of the building in the protected world cultural heritage site of the old city, no solar or photovoltaic systems could be installed on the roofs. Connection to the district heating system would have become very expensive and time-consuming, as after almost every turn of the spade, archaeological investigations of the subsoil would have to be ordered. And heating with wood pellets was not feasible due to the emissions protection act and the high transport costs.
To provide the heat supply, in addition to the environmentally friendly cogeneration through combined heat and power plans a further alternative was also found: Heat from the wastewater sewer. A heat pump, which uses the heat from wastewater to generate the heating output required for the whole building complex.
The Haus der Musik is supplied via two low-voltage infeeds to cover the power requirement of approx. 510 kilovolt ampere. The consumption of the different use units is recorded by 13 meters. Due to the high fire protection requirements, the building was divided into 24 energy / power supply areas. A modern fire alarm system fulfils the requirement for fast early detection of fire. In total, 210 automatic detectors monitor approx. 150 rooms and zones within the building.
Total scope of the works
More than 40 experts, assessors, and design and consultant engineering firms were involved in the project planning and design. Approx. 40 tonnes of steel girders were installed for the structural renovation of the timber joist ceilings of the old building. 42,000 parquet strips were bonded for the approx. 1,500 m² oak parquet. The heating and plumbing pipes in the building have a total length of approx. 7.7 km, the electrical and data cables on the other hand have a total length of 54 km.
The building is now used in diverse ways – the cost and effort was worth it.